Everybody Is an Artist

"I can't draw", "I'm not creative" both things I myself have said countless times when invited to join friends painting, attend a class or even study a creative degree. Yet here I am, in my 4th year of creative study. We all are artists, we just need to find our own ways of expressing our selves in our art. Weather its through music, dance, painting or less 'artsy' sounding practices. It could be the way we set our our homes, how we prepare dinner, the organisation of our cupboards. We all create art in our own ways. There is nothing more freeing to me than just telling that negativity in my mind to go away and leave me be, and to sit down with my medium of choice and create some 'art'. I say the word art because even though my work may not come across to another as something beautiful or creatively impressive, I believe the definition of art (as it's found int he dictionary) to be true. 

ART: the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.

See that, imagination, emotional power. 

Those things are what define us as creators. anything that matters to your heart, anything you pour imagination into. That my friends, is a piece of art. 

I implore you, go and try something that you haven't done before. For years I was desperate to paint, it looking so thrilling and fun to me, but I knew I wasn't an artist, so didn't want to look like a fool. As soon as I stopped caring about looking like an amateur (which believe me I was, and still am) I got brave enough to buy some paint, watch some YouTube videos and just have FUN. And let me tell you, it was ENTIRELY worth it. 

Now, when I am stressed, upset, unsure of something, I often turn to creating something. It can be baking muffins, tidying my room and reorganising (even colour-coding) my cupboards, or painting something weird and abstract, but every-time, this act of making something beautiful has a wonderful affect on my mood. 

So go forth, create, and HAVE FUN with it...it's a blast. 

xoxo

Megan 

Comments

Popular Posts