Maintaining those resolutions in March...

I don't know if it's only me, but I find February one of the hardest months of the year...it's the shortest but feels like the longest. January is always a fresh new start, settling back into life, still managing to maintain those new years resolutions and carry out the goals you set. In January I still feel the thrill of the new year, but in February I feel tired, I have lost some momentum, I am already starting to look forward to another event after saying goodbye to the holiday season and I struggle to find motivation. I have been feeling all of those things and more this last week so decided it's time to get the thrill back, and here is my game plan. I am 'starting new', acting as if it's the new year all over again. This morning I sat down and read over my journal entries from early January, recapturing the spirit of what I was setting out to achieve, but this time I am trying to be more intentional about how I set out these goals. I am still trying to head in the same direction, but I have realised that in just a few short weeks I was already starting to feel demotivated and was not managing to keep up with what I had set out to achieve which can be highly frustrating and can stop you from even trying.

So here's the list I have created that I hope will help me and maybe some of you.

1. Treat the 1st of every month like the 1st of January

Checking in with yourself is so important. Regrouping, and looking over the past month. Write down what you feel was working for you, and what didn't, write down new goals that are maybe just for that month and re-evaluate your goals you have put out for the whole year. How are you still going about trying to achieve them?

2. Be specific with your goals

Transform those sweeping proclamations into manageable, achievable objectives. For example, instead of saying "I'll loose all the excess weight", say "I want to drop 2 kgs".

3. Buddy up with a friend

When it's a team effort it's so much more fun, and you have an accountability partner to check in with and keep you motivated and on track. 

4. Prioritise time in your schedule

That myth that we will 'find time', is just that, a myth. Schedule, schedule, schedule. Block out time slots for those things that are important to you, if it's family time, working out, devotions, what ever it is, schedule off the time on a Sunday for the whole week even, make sure it happens.

5. Check in from time to time

Look back at what you wrote down hoping to achieve, and when you see changes or progression towards those goals, write it down, then reward yourself with a massage or any other treat that works for you.

6. Be patient with yourself

Don't give up, keep starting a fresh if you need to, but never give up on yourself and the goals you set forth to try and achieve.

I hope this list can help some of you, and I hope it will help me to find more joy and success in March rather than feeling like a failure, I'll check in later in the year to let you know how/if it's working well for me.

For now, lots of love x 

Comments

Popular Posts